Sunday, January 23, 2011

Robin - the Man behind the Mystery

People always ask "What does Robin do for work?" The answer I usually give is "Er ist Elektroniker für Gerät und Systeme" which usually leads to a reply of "huh?" (specially if they don't speak any German. So, what does Robin do at work all day? Here are the answers from Robin himself to solve the mystery.

Building Entrance

Erin: Robin, what did you do at work today?
Robin: Well, first I went to my desk to plan the day.

Robin's desk


Erin: Then what?
Robin: Well, then I took a nap.
Erin: What!?!??!
Robin: Ha, ha ha. I used the Laser machine to engrave information into a PCB (printed circuit board - if you don't know what a circuit board is, Google it). We engrave things like dates, serial numbers into them before we send them out to our customers. This helps us with quality control and to troubleshoot any issues in the future.

The laser machine. Much better than your common laser pointer. It works a lot like an ink jet printer... only it engraves. Laser envy anyone?

Erin: Cool, so you could engrave something on my fingernails?
Robin: Uh, just if you hold still.
Erin: Just kidding... so, what next? I see you have some pictures here of some other equipment....
Robin: Mostly, these machines are to configure, test, and adjust air flow sensors
Erin: Hi, I'm dumb.... what?
Robin: The air flow sensors will be used for paint-robotics in the automobile industry.
Erin: yup, still stupid. So, what about the next picture? Looks like more lasers.

Testing Equipment

Robin: Yes, this is a very expensive machine. It uses lasers and sensors to place tiny electronic components on PCBs. Basically, I program the computer to place each component in the right spot. Sometimes there can be hundreds of pieces and they must all be placed exactly. Once the machine is programmed, I just babysit it while it runs - I change out the boards when it finishes one, make sure it has enough to eat... I mean components to place, and just make sure it runs the way it was programed. Once the components are placed, we have a special machine that creates a lot of heat to fix the components in place. Then the PCBs are ready to used.

Tiny components being placed on a PCB.

Erin: Well Robin, that was all very interesting. Do you ever have time for lunch?
Robin: Why, yes I do. My nice wife even makes my lunch for me every day :)
Erin: Extra brownie points for her.
Robin: That pretty much explains the basics.
Erin: Thank you for explaining. I'm sure all our blog readers will enjoy it - all 4 of them.

Thank you for joining us today to learn more about Robin - the man behind the mystery.

1 comment:

  1. I can't count how many times I've asked you, "So what does Robin do, again?" One of four of your blog readers is very happy for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete