Sunday, January 29, 2012

Everyday Life - Part 4

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Each morning, Robin and I read from The Book of Mormon together. He reads in German I read in English.  We usually read about a chapter or so and then discuss what we read – what we can learn from it or how we can apply it to us. It is really a nice way for us to start out the day. 

We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and we know that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Ezra Taft Benson, who was a prophet in our church, said of the Book of Mormon, “It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon” (General Conference, October 1986, emphasis added).

Sometimes, people ask me how I learned German. I usually say I learned it by being in Germany and lots of practice.  Partially true. Ezra Taft Benson talks about a power that is in The Book of Mormon. It is that power that helped (and still helps) me speak German.  When I was in Germany as a missionary, I would read out loud from The Book of Mormon most days.  It was through doing that, that my German really began to improve. Not through studying grammar, not just by being in Germany, it was by reading the words of God.  It was truly a gift (gift of tongues) that came in part through reading The Book of Mormon. When it was important that I spoke German, the words would come.  When I wanted to show off how well I could speak German, it was gone. It still works that way.

Gordon B. Hinckley, who was also a prophet in our church, promised that “there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God” (Ensign, August 2005, emphasis added). Robin and I have found that to be true in our lives and enjoy reading The Book of Mormon together every day.

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your testimony

    ReplyDelete