Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Everyday Life - Part 1

My life is normal… probably a lot like yours. My days involve doing normal things, like laundry.

Laundry Room

Our laundry room isn’t cute and highly organized, but it is fairly functional.  I have 4 washers and 3 dryers and I can really get lots of laundry done at the same time…. no, not really.  In our apartment building we have what is called a ‘Waschküche’ (wash kitchen) where everyone does their laundry. Saturdays are a very popular day to do laundry – it is the only time I see some of the people who live in the building (5 apartment units, 7 residents). Each apartment has an electrical outlet and the machines are plugged into the outlet for that apartment.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Washing Machine

Check out my washing machine. I’m sure it is energy and water efficient and that it uses all the latest technology available for washing machines.  Actually, I don’t even know how old it is but it gets the washing done and gets stains out of my clothes so I am glad to have it.  It’s shortest cycle takes about 45 minutes.  A normal cycle takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I didn’t take a picture of our dryer, but you can see a bit of it to the left of the washing machine.  It is a condense dryer so there is no need for an external vent. It takes quite some time to dry clothes (also 1.5 to 2 hours depending on what I am drying) but it gets the job done. Much of the time, I skip the dryer and hang clothes to dry anyway. My major exception: towels. I like soft, fluffy towels, so they always get put in the dryer.

Iron

I freely admit that I am really bad at ironing.  I avoid it when I can.  When I lived in Hawaii, there wasn’t much need to iron, just hang the clothes up and the humidity will do the rest. Not so here, some things just need to be ironed.  I remember my mom telling me that after she got married (and when she was sewing a  lot) she wanted a nice iron. A ROWENTA iron. Guess what, I have a Rowenta, but really I don’t know if it is better than other irons or not because I really, really not good at ironing. When I iron, my main goal is to get more wrinkles out than I put in. I am usually successful at that.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Folding Laundry

The laundry process usually breaks down for me when it comes time to fold the laundry.  It seems there may be a block in my brain that prevents me from doing this part in a timely manner. The clean laundry might sit for quite some time *cough-2 weeks-cough* before it gets done. Robin frequently helps me with this step.  Isn’t that nice?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Well, enough of my “every-day life” today, I don’t want to bore with the details of normal life… but be ready to hear/see more soon :)

3 comments:

  1. I think mine trumps yours in the sarcastically high tech department...But I just realized I think mine takes as long as yours! I´m washing my first load of whites, and waiting to go out so I can hang my clothes to dry, and it is taking FOR.EVER. Mine is a top load portable looking thing with a very archaic yet slightly modern system. Best of both worlds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you have your own outlet. We share a washer and dryer with our upstairs neighbors, and it is plugged into our electricity...so we pay for their washing and drying. Nice huh? Not really....but my landlord said it's not his problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I feel you, I have had a load of clean white clothes that have needed folding for like 2 weeks. They are thrown on top of our dress in a pile and when we need some we just grab something from the pile. That is how lazy I have become!

    ReplyDelete