Friday, February 18, 2011

Domestically Disabled

I don't consider myself the most domestically talented person. I can a few things if it only involves boiling water. I can sew on a button. I can sweep, sort of. I can iron if it isn't too complicated, but usually I end up putting just as many wrinkles in as I take out. I can clean, but I really don't like to.... I can do laundry, but it might take me the whole week to get around to folding it. I can do dishes, but I am much better at it when there is a dish washer involved. Basically, I get by, but I'm not that good at it.





This week has stetched my domestic abilities to the limit. Sewing, baking, decorating... all involved.


Project 1: Table cloth

We have a round side table in our living room. It has a tablecloth on it that Robin's mom sewed many, many years ago. I like to use the table cloth because then I can hide things under it. I liked the shape of the table cloth but I wanted a different color. Again, I don't sew. The only things I knew about sewing are what I saw my mom do and what I learned in my 7th grade home ec. class. Not much. To make things interesting, I also didn't have a pattern. I was able to find some inexpensive fabric to use (in case the whole thing didn't work out I didn't want to spend too much money on it). I guessed how I could make it... measured, cut, and sewed. Amazingly, it worked out. Just don't look too close, you can see all the mistakes ;)



Project 2: Decorating

We have a long, white wall on one side of our living room with nothing on it. It was driving me crazy to see the HUGE white area with nothing on it. I thought about it (a lot) and couldn't come up with any ideas. For weeks and weeks. I started to get a few ideas, but none of it was working out. Finally, I came up with a quote I wanted to put on the wall, and I cut some vinyl out and put it on the wall. It turned out really good - about 1 foot tall and 3 feet wide. Now there is at least some thing on the long, white wall to break it up.

Project 3: Baking

I did a few things for Valentine's day. I also made bannana bread muffins.

In addition, I hemmed a pair of pants, repaired a hole in a different pair of pants, patched 2 holes in one sweater, and did some cleaning. Whew, what a week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I came across your blog from FB :) I too have to work on "domestic" things. Good job at what you accomplished!

    ReplyDelete