Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Markets - Michaelstadt


I wanted to go to as many Christmas markets as I could this year. So far we have been to 6. Here we are at a Christmas market in the town of Michaelstadt. Michaelstadt is a cute little town about 20 minutes away from us. We took the train though, so it took almost 40 minutes to get there. This market is one of the most popular Christmas markets in the area. The town has a good atmosphere that lends itself nicely to the Christmas spirit. Here is a picture of the town hall:


Lucky for us, it snowed the WHOLE day that day so the town looked really cute with snow all over the fachwerk houses. It was cold too. We had a nice time though. Lots of little booths with all sorts of different things. Lots of tastey little treats too. We bought roasted almonds with a coconut flavor - one of my favorites.

Here is a picture that Robin took of a nice nativity they had at the market.

Now here is an interesting cultural thing - I don't think Santa Claus comes down the chimney in Germany.... You can find figures like this attached to the side of houses here - in this case, Santa is parachuting. Sometimes, it is Santa climbing a latter in to the house. I'm not sure I completely und why, but that is how Santa gets around there - parachuting, climbing in windows, or maybe just walking. Different. When I see one of these things, I usually have a good laugh.

1 comment: