Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trip to Heidelberg

You might hear me talking about Heidelberg more than once. It is about an hour away from where we live and it is a cute, typical German town. The city wasn't distroyed during the war, so it has much of it's historical charm. There is a castle, a river, a nice looking bridge, places to hike, and way up in the hills there are ruins of an old monastery, and an amphitheatre used by the Nazis. In other words, this place has a lot of history.

Last weekend was our stake conference with the Saturday sessions in Heidelberg. That means we got to spend last Saturday wandering around this nice place. When I got there and started taking pictures, I realized my camera battery was almost dead. I was able to get a few pictures though... Here they are:

The gate on the bridge. There were about 50 other tourists on the bridge with me, so it was hard to get a good picture of it.
View from the bridge to the castle. The left tower of the castle is being renovated. It seems like they are always working on some part of the castle. They finish one section and move on to the other. I guess when a building is several hundred years old, it needs constant renovation.

A yummy ball of goodness only to be found in Heidelberg. I dream of these things - seriously. It is called Schlosskugel - or Castle ball. It is chocolate nugget, surrounded by a soft cake, surrounded by a thin layer of marzipan, dipped in chocolate. So yummy. We went to the bakery to get one and split it. A few hours later, I was still in the mood for more Schlosskugel, so we bought another one and split it again.

View from the castle to the river. On the left side of the river, you can see part of the bridge.


Robin and I at the castle.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh schlosskugeln and Heidelberg, my home away from home! This brings back so many beloved memories. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a beautiful day and the fall colors are so vibrant there, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete