Friday, June 4, 2010

Sick Day

Well, starting yesterday, Robin felt sick. This morning he wasn't any better. He called in sick to work. Yesterday was a holiday, so most Doctors (by most I mean all) took today off work. That meant we had to find the place designated to say open for medical problems area... so, from what I have learned today about the German medical system there is a place designated to stay open for those who get sick on weekends, holidays, and in the night. If I understand correctly, it is usually at a hospital and doctors take turns covering the shifts. So, we took the half hour drive to the hospital in this area that was open to receive patients needing to see a doctor. We waited in line to register to see a doctor. Then we waited some more until our name was called. Finally it was our turn to see the doctor. All he could really tell us is that, yes, Robin is sick. He should rest, and maybe take some aspirin for the aches. He could also write Robin a pass to say he was sick and wasn't able to work. That's right, if you miss work because you are sick, you need a doctors note (I think you can be gone two days before a doctors note is required). So, my introduction to the German medical system has begun... first experience hasn't been too bad. Lucky me, I wasn't the sick one.
Right now, Robin is asleep on the couch. He has had some soup and ice cream. He has said a few memorable things while he has been sick:
"Can we have ice cream? I'm sick. It's my medicine." also "Ice cream is the best medicine. Maybe we should increase the doses...."

No comments:

Post a Comment