Friday, June 4, 2010

Lead foot

I like to drive fast sometimes. I was driving some one somewhere once and when we got there, they said "The race car driver taught you to drive, didn't he?" The "race car driver" is my dad and yes he did teach me to drive. I can't seem to help it... I start driving and want to go a little faster... then a little more, before you know it I am well over the speed limit.

Robin let me drive home from the temple the other day. While I was driving he took some pictures. He also happened to catch the speed I was going. First of all, there was no speed limit on this part of the freeway. Second, I wasn't going nearly as fast as the Audis and BMWs that were passing us. I was only going about 80 MPH (130 KPH). Robin also did a nice job of getting a picture of both of us in the car.
On the topic of cars and speed, here is what I have learned about speeding tickets in Germany. Cameras are set up in different places - sometimes they are portable, sometimes they are permanantly installed. If you drive by going over the speed limit, radar senses it and a picture is taken. You are sent the picture and the bill in the mail. Done deal. I have driven by these cameras a few times now. Luckily, I believe I was going exactly the speed limit at the time. I hope so at least... thus far, no speeding tickets have appeared in the mail.

1 comment:

  1. My first thought when you wrote that someone told you that the race car driver taught you to drive was - how did they know? I suppose you could call him that, but most people call him Lee.

    ReplyDelete