Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fasching = Carnival

Robin and I went to a Fasching Parade today in Dieburg. Fasching is the German Carnival. Robin went to this parade when he was a child and thought I might find it interesting. I certainly did! Almost everyone was dressed in a costume. Not just an ‘I went to my closet this morning to see if I could find something weird to throw on and call a costume’ kind of costume. The costumes were well planned and many seemed to plan the costume together with a group of friends. We saw groups of frog princesses, cow boys, teddy bears, hippies, and almost anything else you can imagine. It wasn’t just young people participating either. EVERYONE participated (70+ year olds walking around in blue wigs…!). Robin and I did not dress up :)

I took two films and a few pictures of it to give you a taste of what it was like.

Fasching2012_1Fasching2012_2

See the cowboy in the picture? He was handing out cups of beer from the back of his float. Lots of groups threw candy out for the kids and a few groups passed out small bottles of alcoholic beverages to adults (drinks with approximately 30% alcohol content Robin told me). That is one of the strangest things I have ever seen! I was shocked. Robin said that is how it is here. I’m glad no one tried to give us a drink.  Many people marching in the parade were enjoying drinks of their own too.

The parade had 111 groups participating in it.  We only stayed until group 33. By then I was cold and ready to go. All in all, we had a nice time. Will we go back next year? Umm, we will see.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I think my favorite costume is the pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love reading your posts. It's so fun seeing into the life of normal German living. Miss you guys! Tell Robin Hi for me!

    ReplyDelete