Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ich kann Deutsch

I started taking a German class a few weeks ago. It is for two hours, two times each week. There are about 9 other women in the class. I am the youngest, the oldest is 53 years old. The women are from all over: Iran, Turkey, Russia, Albania, Maldova, Sudan, Croatia, China, and Thailand. Some women have only been here a few months. Others have been here for several years (up 17 years) and haven't learned German yet.
I decided to start with a mid-level course. I understand nearly everything and I speak well enough that most people understand what I am saying (and if they aren't native German speakers, I can sometimes trick them into thinking I am German... heehee). My problem is that I have no clue when it comes to grammar so I feel like when I speak I sound like a child. Frustrating.
So far, things are going well in the class. The things we are learning remind me that at one point I heard these grammar rules, but didn't have time learn and remember them all. It is helping me to recognize certain grammatical things in normal conversations.... I hope/think it is helping me improve my German as well.
With a new German class comes new funny stories :)
For the class I needed to order the book. We have a book store here in our little town, but I didn't want to go in and try to think of all the German words I would need to order the book. Lucky for me, I could order it on their website and just pick it up from the store. When the book came in, I went to the store to pick it up. Here is how it went:

"Ich habe einen Buch bestellt" (I ordered a book)
"Name?"
"Pfarrkircher"
She turned to get the book. Pulled it out. Looked at the book - a book for learning German. Looked at me. Raised her eyebrow a bit. I could guess what she was thinking at this point... I didn't have to say very much, so I may have convinced her that even though I am a foreigner (I have an accent) I spoke German well enough... or at least well enough that I didn't need a book for learning German. She told me the price of the book. I paid and went on my merry way.

In Germany they offer discounts for foriegners to take courses to help them integrate into the society. I quilify for the discount. Before I could use the discount for my class, I had to take a test at some special office. We made an appointment and I arrived about 15 minutes early. The lady I was to meet with was standing outside her office. She saw me and said, "I suppose you are here to see me?" I explained that I was and that I needed to take a test for the German course I wanted to take. After I spoke, she said my German was fine and was I sure I wanted to take a German class? Ummm, yes. So in we went to take the test. There was also another lady there taking the same test. She finished her test and did very well. I turned my test in and while the lady was correcting it she said she had never had anyone score 100% on the test. When she finished grading mine she told me I had only missed 4 out of 50 (one question she marked wrong, but she told me it could also be correct the way I answered it). She asked again if I was really sure I wanted to take a class - with a score that good, I didn't need a class and the one I was in was probably too easy for me anyway... Yes, I was sure I wanted a class. She said ok, stamped my paper and let me go on my merry way.

3 comments:

  1. Why can't people just accept that people like you, Miss Erin, and myself are just bound to be not only awesome, but perfect? :) (Especially in regards to languages!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by Humble Homemaking. I am your newest follower. :) I just had a blast reading through all your blog posts and laughing at how much we have in common. I think living in a foreign country as a newlwed is something people can't fully understand unless they have done it themselves. I loved your frustration about the lack of Brown Sugar, Vanilla Extract and Chocolatte Chips here in Germany, and your desperation to cling on to your old deoderant. I chuckled through your new experiences which were so similar to mine such as making wedding invitations - man that was a headache for me - (I have been here 3 1/2 years now so I guess things are getting more normal). When I first moved to Germany I was also in the Frankfurt area but I am now in Bayern. Thanks for the great read! Have a great time in your German class. (Mine was 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for 11 months... but I didn't speak a word of german when I came here so I needed it. lol.) Take care!
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. so...do they offer discounts for Turkish classes too?

    ReplyDelete